Thursday, January 12, 2012

Where Do I Find...

As celiacs, or people with allergies, finding products that are allergy-free can be a daunting task. I've had a few people ask me lately where I find my products. You see, even though I'm not well known in the blog or allergy world, I am a go-to person for a lot of people in Edmonton who are starting to go gluten-free. We are also a family that has 2 soy-free people, 2 almost completely dairy-free people, and one 100% nut-free little man. I am extremely allergic to shellfish too. My mom is allergic to bananas and grapefruit; my brother to bananas, all nuts, fish and shellfish.

Family meals are fun. :)

But while foods are getting more labelling laws around them, what about the rest of your body?

As a celiac, would you put lipstick on that wasn't gluten-free? Does a day really go by that you don't lick your lips? And if what you put on your skin is absorbed into your body, should you make sure that what you're using is free from your allergens?

When I first when gluten-free in 2008, I didn't think very much about anything other than food. In the last year or so, I've noticed that my eczema flares up if I'm not careful about what I use on my skin, my head itches like crazy if I use generic shampoos, and my skin feels like it's on fire if I use random lotions.

So, here are few companies/products that I go-to a lot, for both me, and my children.

The Canadian company Green Beaver has some really great options out there. I especially love their Conditioning Detangler - it's gluten free, nut free and vegan and smells delicious! It also works wonderfully on my wee girl's frizzy locks. They have gluten free stuff for adults too.

Another one of my favourites is LUSH. Almost all of their products are gluten-free. A couple of them contain oats, though apparently in testing they are coming up as gluten-free. I don't use any of their products with oats in them, but I absolutely love their shampoo bars, their veganese conditioner, and the snake oil for itchy scalps. I have the majority of my facial stuff from here too.

So now you have some skin care and hair options. But what about make-up?

I love the All Natural Face. I've had the pleasure of emailing back and forth with the owner about the ingredients and feel very comfortable in her knowledge of what goes in her make-up. I almost exclusively use the eyeshadow from here, and often use the foundation powder and blush as well. On top of that, the prices are unreal for the quality of product you are getting.

I am on the hunt for a good gluten-free mascara. I've been asking everyone, but have yet to find one that I like. If you have any ideas, please let me know!!

And finally, AVON actually has the majority of their lipsticks/glosses/balms gluten-free. You just have to ask, and they will let you know.

The biggest thing is that for every company, there is a customer service number you can call, or email where you can find out more about a product. In some cases, I have received such ridiculous replies that have left me wondering if they even read my question.. some of the larger companies that aren't 100% sure on their manufacturing practices generally will give a very vague (but longwinded) response that leaves me feeling uneasy. Then, I just don't buy that product. Others will give you easy answers: yes, or no. (Is it really that hard to give a straight answer? I understand liability but OYVEY!)

There ARE products out there. Ask. Everywhere I go, I ask if something is gluten-free, even before I try a tester of it. In cosmetics and skin-care, companies are not required to list all the allergens like they would be with food. It's a different industry.

If you have any other favourites, please let me know! I'm always on the lookout for great information!

Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment