Sunday, January 29, 2012

Lean on Me

I can't explain how important it is to have support around you when you have food allergies, intolerances, or celiac disease. The people around you can make transitioning so much easier, and when people really "get it" there is an immense feeling of relief that you aren't alone.

Take the following 2 stories for example:

Celiac number one got diagnosed and had a bit of a meltdown about it. Her husband gave her immense support and took cooking to a whole new level. He helped her relabel their kitchen, replace things that needed to be replaced, reorganize their cupboards, and learn how to bake all kinds of breads, goodies and food that was all gluten free. He looks out for her as much as anyone else could.

Celiac number two got diagnosed. Her husband wouldn't let her buy any replacements for the kitchen because it was too expensive, and did the same for food. Celiac number two had no idea how to go about starting, and with no support, but rather push-back from home, she continues to consume gluten and is just as sick as ever.

Celiac number one is me. Celiac number two is someone I really do know.

I help people. Newly diagnosed celiacs call me or email me to ask for advice. Parents of children who are new to the allergy world find me on facebook through their friends and send a message to me asking what to do, where to start and how to deal with this new restriction. I love this ability to help people. I always tell people that if they want to pass on my name they can. It can be so overwhelming and so daunting when you first get diagnosed with any food restriction. Having someone who has been there - mentally and physically - can be very comforting and reassuring.

Support can come in many forms and I consider myself lucky to be surrounding by amazingly supportive friends and family members. They go out of their way to find food my family can eat (even buying desserts for my daughter so she doesn't feel left out of special dessert time at dinners), offer me support when I get glutened, and wait for the updates after appointments with the allergist for my son. I'm very, very lucky.

If you, or someone you know, needs that support, send them my way. Point them to my blog, find me on twitter @mamaceliac, or contact me for them. Let me offer them support and start them on this amazing journey. I find the science of allergies and celiac to be fascinating and I truly love helping people find hope during that initial overwhelming period.

As an aside - please send as many good thoughts as possible to my family. Miss A is having her rescheduled surgery tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. You are making the world a better place :)

    Good luck tomorrow - little Miss A will do awesome!

    xo

    ReplyDelete