Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oy Gravy

So I definitely discovered that gravy is not so easy to make without gluten. I made gravy at Christmas and it was pretty good, but the gravy I made last night was awful. I ended up throwing it out so we wouldn't have to eat it.

I'm not sure if I didn't have enough drippings, or if I used rice flour instead of GF all-purpose flour.. but it was gross. It had no taste and well, I'll have to figure out how to make it better. Any tips?

It's been beautiful here for the last while (finally, after a month of -30C temperature) and we got to spend some glorious time outside today. The kids had a blast and I only wish it woudl last, but alas, it's dropping back down this week. It'll give us a chance to start some of our crafts that we've been wanting to work on. The kids need to make some new paintings, and we'd like to try some new felting techniques too!

We made our first gluten free cake today. The Boy helped to ice the cake - he requested purple icing. It looks beautiful. I added some coconut to it (at the request of The Boy - he loves coconut) so I can't wait to taste how good it is after dinner. It was the KinnickKinnick cake mix so we'll see how it turns out!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the gravy. I only make turkey gravy at Thanksgiving and Christmas and my mom always used cornstarch mixed with water to thicken her turkey gravy. My kids have the flu and miss chicken noodle soup too. Sick food is the hardest. Love that Soule Mama book, too. I miss all the Waldorf crafty stuff we used to get up to when the kids were little. You made my Google Alert today for gluten-free. Cool.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick food really is the hardest. You don't realize what the comfort foods really are until they're gone. I've now gotten to the point where I don't notice as much that I don't eat wheat at all. You forget what it tastes like..

    ReplyDelete