Thursday, January 22, 2009

Beauty in Sleep

I adore my kids. Without sounding like a bad mom - I love them when they're sleeping. (I love them loads when they're awake but..) There's something so peaceful and beautiful about a sleeping child that you just don't get until they're asleep. Their lips, their cheeks, their hair all over the place.. I could sit and watch my children sleep for hours (and sometimes I do).

The Boy last night had a hard time going to sleep. Something is going on with him and I'm not sure what it is. I'm not sure if he's cognitively growing given he'll be 3 in 2 months, or if physically something is off. He's battled strep throat and a throat infection and an ear infection all in the last 2 months, so I'm sure there's some healing going on. But anyway, I went up to check on him as I told him he would and I asked him why he was still awake. His response? "I don't understand why I'm not aslsep mom. I think it's because I'm still little sometimes." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. The Boy IS still little and I forget that sometimes. It's nice to be reminded.

I held him in my arms and cuddled him, rocking back and forth shushing as I did for so many hours when he was an infant. I nearly started weeping as all of the memories came rushing back. My boy still loves a good cuddle and for that, I am so thankful. The Husband went in and read him some stories and the Boy fell asleep promptly (isn't that always the way..). I went in and watched him for a couple of moments before bed (and listened to the sound of the motors coming out of my child's mouth.. the snore is a pretty good indicator that something's up I think). Smiling, I headed off to sleep myself.

As an aside - the cake was amazing. I added some coconut to it. The Husband wasn't sure he liked the coconut in it, but the rest of us loved it!

And, the kids are being tested next week for celiac. We get the req on tuesday so it'll be off for the blood test shortly after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment