Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It Took 30 Days..

Disclaimer: This post has nothing to do with Celiac Disease. I can't believe that during Celiac Awareness Month I'm posting something else, but given I've just completed my first 30 day yoga challenge, I decided to change things up. I need to commemorate this moment and I don't have the energy to journal it all (do people write anymore? Writing cramps my hand now!)

So, I did it. And I learned a lot. The interesting thing is that I didn't think I could do it. I put a lot of doubt in myself I think to cushion the fall when I knew that I was sure to fall, or fail. But although I did fall, a lot, I didn't fail. Each fall was met with new awareness, new strength, and new respect.

I'm not perfect. I'm no size 6 perfect figured woman. I'm a mom of 2 (amazing) babes that spent a lot of time ignoring exercise. But that's changing. And already my shape is changing. My poses aren't perfect - I can't necessarily go super far into them, or round my back perfectly (and to be honest, I think my back surgery in 2009 has a lot to do with that), but I know that they're where I need to be.


Wild Thing Pose
In 30 days I learned a lot. Here's my list.

1. I can do a lot more than I give myself credit for. To go into Wild Thing Pose, you can from Downward Dog to 3 leg dog and then flip over. And I can do it. Almost gracefully.

2. It's okay to fall. Falling means you learn. Whether it's falling as in making contact with the floor or falling symbolically, a fall is still a fall.

3. Getting up 30 days in a row to do yoga IS possible. I almost even enjoyed getting up that early.

Side Plank with Leg Raised
 4. I can do a side plank and not want to die. I couldn't do a side plank at all before I started the challenge.

5. People drive like assholes before 6am. I think I saw on average someone run a read light every day. I got tailgated like crazy and people zoomed around me. No one signalled. It was kind of apalling.

6. You're never alone. When you have a bad day, there will be someone there to hug you.

7. It's okay to cry. Crying is healthy; it gives us a release.

I have no idea what this pose is.. I could only find the names for ones on flat heels, not on tiptoes.
 8. 62 people took part in this challenge and they all wanted more - more from themselves, more from life, more. It's okay to want more.

9. Different kinds of yoga do amazing things. In the 30 days I did: Akhanda Yoga, Anusura Inspired Yoga, Chakra Yoga Flow, Hatha Flow Fusion, Kundalini, Restorative Yoga, Kosa Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, Yin Yoga, Yin/Yang Yoga Fusion, Yoga-Core, Yoga Flow, Yoga for Strength - Whew! (You can see descriptions of each here) I also had many many different teachers, each of whom taught us something in their own right (thank you to Prana Instructors: Leala, Isabelle, Sean, Brittany, Heidy, Mallorie, Angela, Jana, Jaya, Jen, Kate, and Donna).
Poet Pose
10. Life often hits you in the face with what you need at that moment. Embrace it, even if it's scary.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring Amanda.
    <3 Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. Number 10 makes a lot of sense to me right now. I need a change in work, but scared to do so.

    Great photos as well. Like how the sun shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan - Everything's scary I find. Sometimes you have to jump in and get scared shitless only to find that there is SO much else on the other side you could never have imagined..

      Delete